With the introduction of the Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card service offered by the Indian Government, the MGI is playing a vital role by providing attested and certified copies of information on Indian immigrants to respective descendants as proof of lineage.
The OCI Card is a document issued by Government of India to all Mauritian Nationals of Indian Origin to help them connect with their Indian roots and avail several other benefits.
- i) Obtain birth certificates of all your ancestors born in Mauritius from Civil Status Office tracing your lineage through either parent to first immigrant from India.
- ii) Get arrival certificate from the MGI or the National Archives to prove their Indian ancestral lineage.
iii) Fill in the online form and submit it to the High Commission of India Mauritius, Port-Louis
- iv) Pay OCI fees after receiving email or call from High Commission of India
- v) Collect OCI card from HCI, Port- Louis on being informed about completion of procedural formalities
Some Benefits of OCI Card:
- i) Multiple entry lifelong visa for visiting India for any purpose.
- ii) Exemption from registration with Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) or Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) for any length of stay in India
iii) Parity with Non-Resident Indian in financial, economic and educational fields, except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
- iv) Parity with Non-Resident Indians(NRI) in respect of pursuing the following professions in India: doctors, dentists, lawyers, architects, chartered accountants.
- v) Running a business, opening bank account in India and purchasing residential or commercial property.
- vi) Parity with Indian nationals in the matter of airfares in domestic sectors in India.
vii) Registered Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder shall be charged the same entry fee as domestic Indian visitors to visit national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in India.