Lecturer | School of Fine Arts
Field of Specialisation: Animation
Mrs. Leena Ramduth joined the MGI (in 2010) as full-time lecturer in the field of Digital Arts with a focus on computer animation. She lectures in various animation techniques: traditional stop motion, 2D computer animation and 3D (CGI). She is specialised in character animation.
Her current areas of research are the use of AR and VR in virtual reconstruction and 3D printing.
She was the Head of Department Design and Communication (January 2016 to December 2017) and as such contributed to the development of the new Media Arts programme (undergraduate programme). During her headship she organized several meetings with executives from the industry, including figures such as Jalil Sadool (CEO of Steamrollerstudios, previously Lead animator at Weta Digital and at Dreamwork studios).
She has a Master degree ( by research) from the University of Mauritius on the use of 3D visualization in virtual reconstruction of heritage sites (2012).
The title of her research thesis was:
- A virtual reconstruction of the Aapravasi Ghat World Heritage
- Site with a focus on the 48 hours' stay of the immigrants in the
- 1860s: a proof-of-concept study to test the feasibility of using 3D
- CG animation for the reconstruction of the whole site.
Prior to her Masters, she studied for a professional Post Graduate Certificate in Animation at the Graphiti School of Animation, the animation school founded by Ram Mohan, recognized as India's pioneer animator, in Mumbai (July 2008- May 2009) where she received training in CGI and 3D animation workflows. She has a Bachelor degree in Culture and Arts with Specialisation in Multimedia Studies: Visual Multimedia,from the University of South Africa (2002 – 2008).
Mrs. Ramduth has over 10 years of local and international professional experience as freelance 2D animator, graphic designer, web-designer, Manager of Training Centre at Linkeo, trainer in web-design, creative co-director in television content production.
She has experience in contemporary museum management issues, with a focus on virtual re-creation of historical artifacts.
Academic projects she has worked on:
- 3D specialist on Hanging History Exhibition with Associate Professor Dr. Vijaya Teelock, GOSK, and Dr. Nalini Treebhoobun.
- Reconstruction of the Reduit railway station under Dr. Chip Colwell from the Denver Museum, USA.
- 3D specialist on a film commemorating the Abolition of Slavery with the Le Morne Heritage Trust Fund (2013).
- Consultancy and various projects for the MGI's Folk Museum of Indian Immigration.
She has participated in several Salon de Mai's of the MGI, using animation/ video/ installation.