To provide a broad knowledge of art which combines both theory and practice; to develop the intellectual capacity and practical skill as well as bring about a sense of independent judgement and artistic sensibility.
2. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
A pass in English Language. Cambridge School Certificate / ‘O’ level or equivalent and
Either (i) Credit in five other subjects (School Certificate), together with at least two passes at Advanced Level (Higher School Certificate or General Certificate of Education).
(Applicants having credit in English Language need to have credit in only four other subjects)
or (ii) Passes in three other subjects at Advanced Level, one of which should be relevant to the course.
Alternative qualifications acceptable to the Mahatma Gandhi Institute.
3. PROGRAMME REQUIREMENT
At least grade C in Arts and Design at A level or equivalent qualifications acceptable to Mahatma Gandhi Institute.
4. PROGRAMME DURATION
|2 years||(4 semesters)|
|4 years||(8 semesters)|
A semester is 15 weeks, excluding examinations.
6. CREDITS PER SEMESTER
Maximum = 24 credits
Minimum 9 credits (Subject to Regulation 4)
1 Credit is equal to 30 hours practical or 15 hours of Lecture
Practical modules :
75 hours per semester which include :
- 15 x 1 hour lecture : 15 hours per semester
- 15 x 4 hours practical : 60 hours per semester
Theory modules :
45 hours per semester
- 15 x 3 hours lecture : 45 hours per semester
MINIMUM CREDITS REQUIRED FOR DIPLOMA - 66
- Theory modules will carry 100 marks, out of which 30% will be from continuous assessment.
- Practical modules will carry 100 marks, out of which 40% will be from continuous assessment.
- A practical examination or a two-hour written examination per module will be set at the end of each semester, unless otherwise stated. Duration of practical examination will range from 6 hours to a maximum of 20 hours spread over a maximum of 5 days, depending on the nature of the module.
- Continuous assessment will be based on practical and/or written assignments with at least one class test.
- For a student to pass a module, a minimum of 30% should be attained in both Continuous Assessment and Written and/ or Practical Examination separately, with an overall total of a minimum of 40% in that module.
- There is no level attached to modules, i.e. each module carries its credit value.
- Modules FINA 2000 will be assessed by display of works and Viva voce.
|DRAWING - Fundamentals of drawing in different media|
|PAINTING - Colour Theory & Application|
|PRINTMAKING - Introduction to Planography|
|SCULPTURE - Introduction to Clay & Carving|
|HISTORY OF ART - Survey of Art up to 18th Century|
|DRAWING - Study of human figure|
|COMPUTER GRAPHICS-Digital Design I|
|SCULPTURE - Plaster & Cement casting techniques|
|HISTORY OF ART -Trends in 19th &20th Century|
|PRINTMAKING - Relief Printing|
|DRAWING - Multi media approach|
|PAINTING - Composition of human figure|
|CRITICAL ART APPRECIATION OF 20TH CENTURY ART IN VARIOUS CONTEXT|
|SCULPTURE - Wire sculpture & Assemblage|
|DRAWING - Architectural & Landscape Studies|
|PAINTING -Compositions in various techniques|
|COMPUTER GRAPHICS –Digital Design II|
|CRAFT - Functional and decorative items|