The Language Resource Centre (LRC) was set up following a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed on 28th April 2005 in Mauritius between Mahatma Gandhi Institute and Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL), Mysore, India.
- Promotion and Dissemination of Indian Languages
- Integration of new technologies in the teaching and learning of Asian Languages
- Encourage the community to learn Asian Languages
- Creation and Production of techno-pedagogical tools for the community.
The Online Introductory Course in Asian Languages such as Hindi, Bhojpuri, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Modern Chinese were launched in September 2016 by the Minister of Education and Human Resources, Tertiary Education and Scientific Research Hon (Mrs) Leela Devi Dookhun-Luchmun.
Activities and Programmes organized
- Training programme in Applied Linguistics with special reference to Second Language teaching was held in January 2006.
- Training and Enrichment Programme on curriculum development and textbook writing in July 2007 at Mysore.
- Workshop on ‘Testing and Evaluation’ was conducted from 8th to 18th January 2008.
- Workshop on Translatology was held as from 22nd July to 31st July 2008.
- Seminar cum Workshop on “Teaching and Learning of Asian Languages in Secondary Schools – The Way Forward” was held on 04 & 05 August 2011.
- Training in IT and Asian Languages for Tertiary students and Asian Language word processing operators on 18 July to 05 September 2012.
- Interactive session between Prof Herman Van Olphen, Renowned Scholar from the Texas University, Austin, USA and MGI on 11 January 2013.
- Symposium on ‘Teaching of Linguistics at Tertiary Level’ by Prof VR Jagannathan, renowned Linguist from India on 12 February 2013.
- Launching of Curriculum Development Projects – Publication of Form IV Textbooks and E-books in May 2013.
- Training on E Learning, Online Education and Designing of Multimedia Materials was held from 15 July to 30 July 2013 at the Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore, India.
- Training on the use of Sankoré at Centre for Open and Distance Learning (CODL), Mauritius Institute of Education (MIE) in October 2013
- Collaborated with the World Hindi Secretariat in organizing and conducting the Seminar/ Workshop on Sankoré - Hindi Teaching and ICT for Primary Hindi Educators from 07 to 10 April 2014 at IGCIC and MGI.
- Presentation on Office 365 by Caroline Koa Wing, Citizenship and Partners in Learning Project Manager and Mrs Natasha from Microsoft Indian Ocean Islands and French Pacific on 25 June 2014.
- Launching of Curriculum Development Projects – Publication of Form V Textbooks and E-books in July 2014.
- Workshop on Emerging Trends in Education: Curriculum, Technology, and Research from 9 to 22 July 2014 at MGI.
- Collaborated with the World Hindi Secretariat for the International Regional Hindi Conference from 29th to 1st November 2014 at IGCIC and MGI.
- Collaborated with the Department of Bhojpuri, Folklore and Oral Tradition and Bhojpuri speaking Union in the organization of the International Bhojpuri Conference in November 2014.
- Collaborated with the World Hindi Secretariat for the Seminar/ Workshop on Hindi Teaching and ICT for Private Secondary Educators of Hindi in August 2015.
- The Online Introductory Course in Asian Languages were launched in September 2016.
- Visit of Delegates from Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL) from 10 to 14 April 2017 for the Evaluation of activities carried out and projects completed & proposed projects 2017-2021 in the context of renewal of MOU between MGI & CIIL.
- Interactive Session on Online Distance Learning between Centre of Innovative Lifelong Learning, University of Mauritius and MGI Academics on Thursday 21 September 2017.
- Training for Primary Educators for Early Digital Learning Programme (EDLP) for Grades 1 and 2 in Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telegu, Marathi and Modern Chinese during the period 5th to 12th December 2017 at MGI.
- Interactive Session with the World Bank Consultant, Mr. Anil Kanjee on 13th December 2017 in the Subramania Bharati Lecture Theatre for the evaluation of the EDLP Project.
- Training on Open Distance Learning by resource persons from Centre for Innovative and Lifelong Learning (CILL) at Ebene on 14th and 15th March 2018 where 30 Academics from the various departments; Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Modern Chinese, Bhojpuri, Sanskrit, and Philosophy attended.
- Visit of 4 Delegates from Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL) namely Prof Donavalli Guraveswararao, Prof Uma Pappuswamy, Dr Lingavanaicker Ramamoorthy and Shri Pankaj Dwivedi from 18 June to 21 June 2018 for the 4th Programme Advisory Committee Meeting at the MGI
- Interactive Session with 4 Delegates from Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL) on 20 June 2018 in the Subramania Bharati Lecture Theatre for all the academics
- The consultants from India, Mr Gagan Sharma and Mr Joby Thomas, gave an overview of the Language Laboratory on the 13th August 2018 to the all the academics of various schools namely: School of Indian Studies, School of Indological Studies and School of Mauritian and Area Studies.
- Training for academics and the staff of IT Department on the pedagogical and technical aspects of the Pāṉini Language Laboratory by 2 consultants from India namely Mr Gagan Sharma and Mr Joby Thomas conducted on the 14th and 16th of August 2018.
- Short Training on the usage of the Pāṉini Language Laboratory to a group of students from secondary and tertiary sector on the 17th August 2018 by the consultants Mr Gagan Sharma and Mr. Joby Thomas
- Participation for the 11th World Hindi Conference that is setting-up of an exhibition booth from 18th to 20th August 2018 at the Swami Vivekananda International Convention Centre (SVICC), Pailles.
- Training on ICT in Asian Languages for Supervisors at the Panini Language Laboratory on 2 half-days 10th and 13th September 2018.
- Training session on the Kotobee Author Software and interactive eBook for the Early Digital Learning Programme (EDLP) Grade 3 conducted by 5 resources persons from MIE (CODL namely: Mr. Avinash Oojoorah, Mr. Prithidinesh Sumputh, Mr. Vishan Narayen, Mr. Shoueib Bunnoo and Mrs. Amirah Dowlut-sokeechand scheduled on 12th October 2018 in the Pāṉini Language Laboratory.
- Training for Primary Educators for Early Digital Learning Programme (EDLP) for Grades 1, 2 and 3 in Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telegu, Marathi and Modern Chinese during the period 3rd to 6th December 2018 at MGI.
- Training on Dokmee: Document Management System Solutions Software was conducted on Friday 14th December 2018 in the Pāṉini Language Laboratory by 2 representatives from the company Enterprise Data Services namely: Mr. Kevin Ramasawmy, IT Manager and Mr. Azhar Lothun, IT Engineer.
Research & Publications
- Form IV Textbooks and e-books in Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Modern Chinese.
- Form V Textbooks and e-books in Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Modern Chinese.
- Standard I, II & III Text books and e-books for the Introduction of Bhojpuri in the primary schools.
- Multimedia Materials for Grade I & II
- ICT Handbooks and flipbooks in Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Sanskrit.
- Production of Techno-pedagogical materials: Learn Hindi, Sanskrit, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Modern Chinese – the digital way.
- Multimedia Materials for Grade III
LRC has seven staff members, including Head (Senior Lecturer), one Lecturer, 1 Confidential Secretary, 1 Administrative Staff, 3 Graphics Designer (Temporary Basis), 1 Computer Laboratory Attendant and 1 Office Attendant.